Lawrence A. Rowe
Emeritus Professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Computer Science Division -
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
[ Phone: +1-925-218-2221
| Email: larry "dot" rowe "at" gmail "dot" com ]
Field of Specialization
- Multimedia Systems and Applications
- User Interfaces Design and Implementation
- Database Management Systems
- BA, Mathematics, University of California at Irvine (1970)
- PhD, Information and Computer Science, University of California at
Thesis: "Formalization for Modelling Structures and the Automatic
Generation of Efficient Implementation Structures" (Advisor Fred Tonge)
- "Top 15% Most Impactful Papers from 1998 ACM Multimedia
K. Patel, B.C. Smith, and L.A. Rowe,
"Performance of a Software MPEG Video Decoder."
Revised version published in the inaugural issue of
ACM Trans. Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications, 2005.
- "Best Paper Award," 1998 ACM Multimedia Conference
A. Swan, S. McCanne, and L.A. Rowe,
"Layered Transmission and Caching for the Multicast Session
- "The Most Impactful paper from the ACM SIGMOD Conference Ten Years
Ago," 1996 ACM SIGMOD
M.R. Stonebraker and L.A. Rowe,
"The Design of POSTGRES"
- "The Best Experimental Paper Award," 1991 OOPSLA Conference
J. Konstan and L.A. Rowe,
"Developing a GUIDE using Object-Oriented Programming"
- FX Palo Alto Laboratory,
Palo Alto, CA
President, 2007 - 2013
Chairman & CEO, 2013 - 2014
- EECS, University of California at Berkeley
Emeritus Professor (July 2003 - present)
Professor (July 1988 - June 2003)
Associate Professor (July 1980 - June 1988 (on leave 1983))
Assistant Professor (July 1976 - June 1980)
- Teaching and research in computer science.
Major research projects on
multimedia systems and applications,
graphical user-interface development systems,
database application development tools,
database management systems,
and computer-integrated manufacturing.
Research funded by grants from National Science Foundation,
Department of Defense agencies, California State Government,
- Taught undergraduate and graduate courses on introductory programming,
programming languages and compilers, database management systems,
human-computer interfaces, and multimedia systems and applications.
Research advisor for over 50 Masters and 10 Phd graduates.
- Served on numerous department, college, and unversity committees including:
- EECS Computer Needs Committee (Chair 1980-83),
- CS Building Committee (co-chair 1984-8),
- CS Graduate Study Committee (chair 1984-5),
- Academic Senate Computing and Telecommunications Committee
(1985-7, 1995-7, chair 1997-8),
- CS Graduate Admissions Committee (chair 1988-90, 93-6),
- EECS Faculty Recruiting Committee (1997, co-chair 1998)
- Chancellor's Undergraduate Scholarship and Honors Committee (1991-3),
- CS Preliminary Examination Committee (1992-4),
- Berkeley Multimedia Research Advisory Committee (1994-2003),
- Statewide Academic Senate Committee on Information Systems
and Telecommunications Policy (1995-6, chair 1996-8).
- College of Engineering Committee for Televised Instruction
- Computing Commission ad hoc Advisory Committee (1998).
- NSF Computer Science Network Committee (member 1979-82).
- ACM Systems Software Award Committee (member 1987-91, chair 89-91).
- NRC Panel on Telecommunications (member 1993-4).
- Internet2 Applications Committee (1997-2003)
- ACM SIG Multimedia Chair (1998-2003).
- Editorial Board Member
- ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications (2004-present)
- ACM/Springer Multimedia Systems Journal (1999-2003)
- Served on over 20 program committees for professional conferences
- General Co-Chair, ACM Multimedia 2003.
- Consultant to many companies including
Dust Inc. (2002-2006),
Fast Forward Networks (1999-2001),
FX Palo Alto Laboratories (2004-present),
Harris Semiconductor (1988-91),
Hughes Aircraft (1976-7),
and Tandem (1984).
- Berkeley Multimedia Research Center,
University of California at Berkeley
Director (July 1995 - June 2003)
- The Berkeley Multimedia Research Center is an
interdisciplinary research group working on applications of
multimedia technology to business, education, research, and society.
- Principal Investigator, "Digital Media Storage and Delivery," NSF
Research Infrastructure Grant (1995) to build a high speed
campus network linking together multimedia researchers, laboratories,
and a large hierarchical storage system.
- Executive producer for multimedia web titles and webcasts.
- Siemens Technology-to-Business
Member, Board of Directors, 1999 - 2003
- nCast Corporation
Member, Board of Directors, 1999 - present
- Inktomi Corporation
Member, Technical Advisory Board, 1996 - 2003
- Ingres Corporation
Consulting Vice President, 1980 - 1990
Vice President, Research and Development, January 1983 - December 1983
Member, Board of Directors, September 1988 - October 1990.
Other Professional Activities
Last updated February 6, 2015.